After a very wet and windy afternoon, we hunkered down for the evening. While Thomasina slept by the fire, I made a chicken pot pie casserole.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 roasted chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups peas, blanched
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, blanched
- 2 potatoes, peeled, diced, and boiled
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon milk, for egg wash
Thaw puff pastry according to package directions.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken, sweet pepper, and shallots and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in flour, salt, tarragon, and black pepper. Add milk and cream all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in wine, peas, carrots and potatoes; heat thoroughly. Transfer the hot chicken mixture to a 1 1/2-quart casserole. Place pastry over the hot chicken mixture in casserole dish. Brush puff pastry with egg wash then cut slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes.
Pour yourself another glass, make a little salad, and enjoy being warm inside while the wind howls, while catching up on DVR-ed shows.